Saturday, November 3, 2007

CW #16: Two Cloisters, Two Stories

Santi Quattro Coronati

It was tucked away inside a plain church with barred windows and located on top of a hill. I’m reminded of a prison. Who would have guessed a unique, beautiful, and serene place existed inside?

To enter the cloister, I must ring the doorbell and wait for the nun to let me in.

A fountain sits comfortably in the center of the cloister, surrounded by patches of well-kept grass and a pool that catches the water gently trickling out of each of the four water spouts protruding from the fountain’s sides. It’s far from grandiose; a plain, white fountain, really; nothing compared to the detailed décor of the Trevi Fountain. However, the sound of dripping water was still what I heard first when I walked through the doors. I could also hear the gravel crunching beneath my shoes as I walked. I almost thought I would disturb the peace that enveloped us.

This cloister reminded me of the comforts of my room back in Seattle. It’s a place I could come back to over and over again because I could easily image myself sitting in between one of the many arches that outline the rectangular space for hours upon hours -- curled up like a fat cat taking a nap. Doing nothing, relaxing. I lost track of time. The stillness and tranquility of the atmosphere is calming, like a ripple-less puddle. The exact environment I thrive in when I need to think or ease my mind. I’m in another realm, unaware of the world outside. Isolated. It was refreshing being able to step out of the chaos of Rome. I look up and I see the bright blue sky painted with fluffy white clouds, and the sun casted on just half of the coral precinct walls. Color surrounds me.

San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane

The church is located on the corner of a busy street. It has an ornate façade -- columns and statues in niches, and steps that invite me inside. From a distance, it looks like the front of the church is wavy. I’m reminded of a banner blowing in the wind.

I invite myself into the cloister, hidden at the back of the church.

I walk inside and am unimpressed right off the bat. But maybe it’s because I’ve already been spoiled by the beautiful and tranquil cloister of Santi Quattro Coronati. No. Really, this cloister is extremely plain and cramped. I feel unwelcomed – like stepping into an empty, cold unfurnished house. I could never imagine myself spending time here because it doesn’t inspire me. The high round arches and the small details that encompass the area are pretty, but they feel like skyscrapers towering over me.

I’m not sure what is in the center of the cloister. Could it have been a well? Or is it just there for decoration? And there’s a random door in the wall. What could be behind it? Everything about this cloister feels like a mystery.

I step out, and all I’m left with is an image of white.

No comments: